Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Purpose for Teaching

I apologize if anyone is offended by this, but it is not meant in bad taste, but rather as my own frustration with the issue.  I will attempt to be as rational and polite as possible.

Recently, a woman was fired for badmouthing her students and wishing death upon them via a Facebook status update. I don't think I need to go in depth on why this is wrong on so many levels, so I shall refrain.

However, what I will launch on a tirade about is that people like this are the ones instructing children we may know or care deeply about, let alone the next generation of children that we don't who will never deserve to have death wished upon them by another human. I honestly could care less if it was a bad/long/stressful/unpleasant/terrible day. If you are in a position of the public educator, you had better be there for a reason. Honestly, if you have gone through the education path solely because you want to have summer or major holiday vacations off then I don't want you teaching my future children. I want someone who is in it for their passion and drive to work with students, growing humans- children.

It is so frustrating to me that a position aimed toward shaping someone's life and belief of reality would either be in it for selfish gains or was unable to handle the stress that we all should know accompanies the job. I absolutely adore all of the children that I have ever worked with, no matter how difficult it may have been. Granted, we all have our moments where we reach our limits. When we do, for the love of all things please take it out in a non-destructive, non-violent, non-public way. Find a small amount of enjoyment in something and return to how things should be. If teaching is a miserable job then you may want to consider either not continuing down that path or reanalyzing life in a hurry.

I apologize for the rant, but I just thought I should get my voice out there, and I know others are thinking the same thing so I suppose I should be one to make it known to others.

2 comments:

  1. I honestly don't think you should even have to apologize for possibly offending anyone with this rant because it should in no way offend someone who cares about his or her job and students. I, too, find it ridiculous that people like this are even in the position to be in charge of children and in the position of a kind of role model to these impressionable students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this about the Anderson Cooper episode I was telling you about?
    I'll give them the context of your rant.
    This particular teacher's Facebook status appeared within days after a neighboring school district had lost a 12 year old on a field trip to the beach, the 12 year old drowned. This teacher's Facebook status went something along the lines of - Today would be a great day to go to the beach. I hate all my students, they are the devil's spawn.- when somebody asked about the kids getting washed out to sea she replied - I wouldn't throw her a lifevest.- She tries to defend herself by saying she isn't friended with any students and it was her personal life, she was only venting after a bad day.


    I agree with you Jake. I was disgusted by her, and she does not deserve to be a teacher. Even if your day is stressful or the students are being particularly rotten, implying you wish for their death is just unbelievable. Especially when neighboring districts are still in mourning from the tragedy. If you want to get your blood pressure high like Jake and I, check out clips from the episode below.


    http://www.andersoncooper.com/2012/03/05/did-a-teachers-facebook-status-warrant-job-termination/

    ReplyDelete